Detailed Course Outline
Module 01: Apigee Overview
- Understand the placement and role of API management in modern application development.
- Define logical components and organizational structure of Apigee API platform.
- Differentiate between Apigee flexible deployment models.
- Explain the API lifecycle.
Module 02: API First and OpenAPI Specifications
- Describe the fundamentals of REST API design.
- Understand the value of API-first development and how to apply it.
- Discuss OpenAPI specifications and their use in the context of API-first development.
Module 03: API Proxies
- Define the building blocks of APIs and API proxies.
- Describe how APIs proxies work and how capabilities such as flows, policies, route rules, virtual hosts and target servers play a role.
- Understand how APIs are exposed.
- Understand how API proxies connect to backend systems.
Module 04: API Products
- Define API products and the value behind API product strategy.
- Understand the role of developers, applications, and API keys in API management.
- Describe the API publication process.
- Understand API responses and status codes for REST APIs.
Module 05: Authentication, Authorization, and OAuth
- Discuss the importance of API Security.
- Understand the value of application identity.
- Understand the role of user authentication and authorization.
- Gain deep understanding of OAuth (Access token, Refresh token, Common pattern for all grant types) and its application in the context of API design and management.
- Discuss federated identity and the use of JSON Web Tokens in your API proxies.
Module 06: Content, Transport, and Internal Security
- Explore platform capabilities for protecting against content-based attacks.
- Discuss transport security and how to protect the connection between Apigee and backend services.
- Understand how to protect sensitive data using KVMs, data masking, and private variables.
Module 07: Mediation
- Understand the out-of-the-box platform capabilities for implementing mediation and fault handling.
- Describe implementation patterns and policies for JSON, XML, and SOAP.
- Explore development practices and capabilities used to reuse, share, and enforce execution of flows and policies.
Module 08: Traffic Management
- Describe when and how to use traffic management.
- Evaluate options and applicable use cases for rate limiting with spike arrests and quotas.
- Understand caching strategy and how to apply it.
Module 09: API Publishing
- Describe API publishing strategy and process.
- Expand understanding of REST API design by discussing API versioning.
- Describe the role of developer portals in the API lifecycle and as a critical part of API strategy.
Module 10: Logging and Analytics
- Discuss available options for message logging.
- Understand the value and use of API analytics.
- Understand the extensibility options available for API analytics using custom metrics and dimensions.
Module 11: Advanced Topics
- Discuss recommended practices and tooling for Apigee offline development.
- Describe the capabilities offered by management API.
- Evaluate options to leverage CI/CD as part of API lifecycle.
- Explore Apigee Deployment Options.