All of the data within a database installation is at risk unless one has designed, tested and implemented a robust backup and recovery strategy. The objective of this training textbook is to assist you in doing just that, and this is one of the most essential modules in the entire Sideris Oracle 12c database administrator curriculum.
Among the tools and facilities that you will learn to use are the Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN), the Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control, the Data Recovery Advisor, Oracle Flashback technologies, Redo Log File Size Advisor and the MTTR Advisor. Since it can be tempting to short-cut appropriate backup procedures if these perform poorly, special attention is given to backup performance and optimization.
Who should attend
The primary target audiences:
- Database administrators
- Web server administrators
- System administrators
- Implementation specialists
- Data center support engineers
- Senior application designers and developers
- Automatically managed backup strategies and database recovery operations using RMAN, the Enterprise Manager Cloud Control, and other database facilities.
- Database instance recovery, tuning checkpoints, the Redo Log File Size Advisor and the MTTR Advisor.
- User-managed recovery scenarios, including recovery from temporary, read-only and index tablespaces.
- Complete and incomplete media recovery, including database point-in-time, tablespace and table point-in-time recovery.
- Configure a centralized recovery catalog. Deploy standardized and consistent backup and recovery procedures throughout the enterprise by means of dynamic stored scripts and variable substitution.
- Optimizing backups for faster performance and parallelization of operations, employing compression algorithms and other strategies for optimum efficiency.
- Achieve data preservation through archival backups.
- Duplicate and clone databases for regulatory compliance, Real Application Testing database replay, test configuration and other purposes.
- Tablespace transportation, database transportation, cross-platform transportation and endian format conversion.
- Detect and handle failures and corruption, including the use of RMAN block recovery and the Data Recovery Advisor.
- Newly released or enhanced features such as backup file compression, encryption, parallelization and others.
- Recovering from logical failure using appropriate Oracle Flashback technologies, such as Flashback Table, Flashback Drop and Flashback Database.
- Getting Started: About Database Failure & Recovery
- Getting Started: Configure The Database For Recovery
- Getting Started: Automatic Instance Recovery
- BACKUP: CONFIGURE RMAN
- Backup: Perform RMAN Backups
- Backup: RMAN Management With EM
- The RMAN Recovery Catalog
- Recovery: User-Managed Recover
- Recovery: RMAN Recovery
- Advanced: Enhanced RMAN Capabilities
- Advanced: Database Duplication & Cloning
- Advanced: Data Transportation
- Advanced: Handling Corruption With Data Recovery Advisor
- Flashback: About Oracle Flashback Technology
- Flashback: Recovery Using Oracle Flashback Technology