Who should attend
- App Developers
- Customers looking to migrate their on-prem applications, which sit on legacy infra + internal platforms to the Azure cloud
- Customers looking to move from IaaS à PaaS services
- Customers who want to modernize their workloads
To avoid any delays with downloading or installing tooling, you are encouraged to have the following ready to go!
- Install your choice of Integrated Development Environment (IDE) Software, i.e. Visual Studio / Visual Studio Code / Eclipse / IntelliJ
- Download Azure CLI or Azure PowerShell
- Browser Client (e.g. Safari/Firefox)
- SSDT/SSMS (SQL Server Data Tools / SQL Server Management Studio)
- Modernize your applications by moving away from outdated, expensive legacy infrastructure: discover, assess, and migrate on-premises applications, infrastructure, and data.
- Take it step-by-step: centrally plan and track the migration across multiple Microsoft and third-party open source tools.
- Increased resiliency and access to ongoing support for your legacy operating systems
The Migration OpenHack enables attendees to assess, migrate, modernize, and optimize existing on-premises applications hosted in Windows Server 2008 R2 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 as they move to Microsoft Azure, in a secured way. The OpenHack simulates a real-world scenario where a mortgage company has multiple line-of-business applications residing on legacy infrastructure that is rapidly approaching end-ofsupport and need to be migrated. During the “hacking” attendees will focus on 1. migrating their applications from legacy operating systems to Azure using a rehost methodology and, then, 2. transitioning from IaaS to PaaS services that account for application behavior monitoring and security of organizational secrets. By the end of the OpenHack, attendees will have built out a technical solution that has all applications and virtual machines (all workloads) fully hosted on the Azure cloud.
Technologies Azure Migrate, Azure Database Migration Service, Data Migration Assistant, Azure Active Directory, Azure Active Directory Connect (AAD Connect), Azure Site Recovery, Azure Monitor/Log Analytics, Azure Networking, Azure Virtual Machines, Azure Storage, Azure DNS, Azure Traffic Manager, Azure Bastion, Azure Load Balancer, Azure Application Gateway
- Migration: move on-prem applications to Microsoft Azure
- Security: migration approach that minimizes data, app code, and other harmful leaks of information during transition from legacy infrastructure to the cloud with layers of testing and RBAC implementation
- Data: configure new Azure databases to meet your data ingestion, storage, and advanced search/AI needs
- Networking: ensure that your connection between on-prem and Cloud is secure and active, so resources transferred in between are protected